This website is the work of Bruce Booher. I am an ordained pastor in the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA). I am retired from parish ministry, but am actively involved in exploring the intersection of faith and science and sharing with others. I live in Seneca, South Carolina, but travel to offer presentations and retreats. I studied astronomy and physics as an undergraduate student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. This website is one of the ways I share with others my interest in the role of mystery, awe and wonder in faith and science. I give presentations and lead workshops, courses and retreats on faith and science, focusing especially on the role of mystery, awe and wonder. To learn more about these events or to inquire about having me come and speak to your group, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
I currently serve on the Steering Committee of the Lutheran Alliance for Faith, Science and Technology. I encourage you to visit the website of the Alliance – http://luthscitech.org The Lutheran Alliance for Faith Science and Technology is a member of the Ecumenical Roundtable for Science, Technology and the Church, which also includes groups from Episcopal, Presbyterian and United Church of Christ.
I am a Key Partner for the Gustavus Academy for Faith, Science and Ethics at Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter MN, which received a grant from the Lilly Foundation Initiative for Theology institutes for High School Youth.
On February 10, 2013, I had the privilege of being one of two guests for first episode of the Evolving Universe, Evolving Faith series on Darkwood Brew – an internet television show. The other guest for that episode was Grace Wolf-Chase, an astronomer at Adler Planetarium and the University of Chicago. The episode can be seen in its entirety at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gkf6_zcfwA
I helped plan an event celebrating Clergy Contributions to Science at Adler Planetarium, Chicago IL, February 18, 2014 and was one of the speakers at this event.
I am also part of chr-astro, an online community of professional astronomers who are Christians. Although I am not a professional astronomer, I have been accepted into this group. I encourage you to check out the Resources page of their website – https://sites.google.com/site/chrastronomer/
I have given presentations on faith and science in the following settings:
- Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Beaumont, TX
- Faith Lutheran Church, Dickinson, TX
- Faith Lutheran Chapel, Pickens, SC
- First Lutheran Church, Plano, IL
- House of Prayer Lutheran Church, Houston, TX
- Immanuel Lutheran Church, Yorkville, IL
- Lakeside Lutheran Church, League City, TX
- Our Saviour Lutheran Church, Greenville, SC
- Peace Lutheran Church, Pasadena, TX
- St. John Lutheran Church, Walhalla, SC
- Trinity Lutheran Church, Liberty, TX
- Trinity Lutheran Church, Orange, T
- University Lutheran Church, Clemson, SC
- Upper Arlington Lutheran Church, Columbus, OH
- Calder Baptist Church, Beaumont, TX
- First Christian Church, Woodward, OK
- First Christian Church, Valdosta, GA
- St. Stephen Episcopal Church, Beaumont, TX
- First Presbyterian Church, Fairbanks, AK
- Temple Emmanuel Synagogue, Beaumont, TX
- Youth Science Club, with parents, Moody Church, Chicago, IL
- ELCA Churchwide Offices, Brown Bag Lunch Group
- Lutheran School of Theology in Chicago, Science and Theology Discussion Group
- Houston Science and Religion Discussion Group, Melanchthon Institute
- Kiwanis Club, Beaumont, TX
- Rotary Club, Plano, IL
I presented 4 week courses on Standing in Awe for the Melanchthon Institute at:
- Christ the King Lutheran Church, Houston, TX
- Living Word Lutheran Church, Katy, TX
- House of Prayer Lutheran Church, Houston, TX
I also presented this course at Peace Lutheran Church, Pasadena, TX (in cooperation with the Melanchthon Institute) I have presented workshops at:
- Rediscovering Cosmos Conference, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
- ELCA Youth Ministry Network Extravaganza
- TX-LA Gulf Coast Synod Assembly
- TX-LA Gulf Coast Synod Sr. High Gathering (Awareness Speaker)
- TX-LA Gulf Coast Synod Jr. High Gathering
I spoke at ELCA Global Mission Events in:
- Atlanta, GA
- Seguin, TX
- Denver, CO
- Hickory, NC
- Bozeman, MT
- Baltimore, MD
- Columbus, Ohio
- La Crosse, Wisconsin
I presented workshops at the Congregational Resourcing Event of the Northern Illinois Synod, ELCA eight times. I helped lead a Winter Retreat of the United Methodist Church, Texas Annual Conference Christian Educators Fellowship.
I have led Weekend of Wonder retreats at: Camp Lutherhill, LaGrange TX (five times); Caroline Furnace Camp, Fort Valley, VA; Lutheran Outdoor Ministries Center, Oregon, IL (four times) Lutherdale Bible Camp, Elkhorn, WI and The Sabbath Center, Lanark, IL. I have led retreats for the men’s groups of St. Timothy Lutheran Church, Naperville, IL and Peace Lutheran Church, Lake Zurich, IL.
I led the SC Synod WELCA Winter retreat in 2018 at Camp Kinard.
In October 2019, I led a retreat for the Chapel at the Cliffs at Glassy.